Monday, August 1, 2011

Being Home: La Dolce Vita Series

It's been a rough few weeks at the parents as my dad has not been well. Thankfully things are looking up. I returned "home" 5 days earlier than my planned August break from Italy, where everything closes and between. the heat and the tourists I took my cue from the Italians and decided to split town. I put home in parentheses because even though it's not the house I grew up in, it's the house where my parents live so therefore will always be home.

During times that try your emotional strength, I think it's normal to re-evaluate what is important and what one wants from their life. Some days I know and on others I'm still ungrounded.This trip home has given me more perspective.

I sat in my dad's chair in his office the other day. It's one of those leather chairs that you can swirl around in. As I spun around in the chair like a little kid I thought, in this small room, on the shelves of theses bookcases, on every inch of these walls are the memories of a life well lived, a life filled with family, friends & pets, a life filled with experience, a life filled with work, a life filled with smiles and tears and most importantly a life filled with an immense amount of love.

No matter where you go,what you see, what you acquire, life doesn't get much sweeter than the one depicted within the walls of my dad's office. Veramente la dolce vita :)






fathers day gift one year of ebbetts field in brooklyn


pencil drawing I did of mom as a child

sooo many photos


all the past family pets

1 comment:

  1. Touching story Andrea, I am sure your family is glad to have you home too. I love all the photographs, and that sketch you did is nothing short of amazing, simply beautiful.

    Have a great trip home, sending lots of love to your Dad. Love from Florence, Christine

    ReplyDelete